There are a range of foods that are suited for healthy living, and if you are conversant with these, you will love to have them included in your diet as much as possible. Kale is reputed for a range of benefits that have been proven and commonly reported in the world of health.
Being exposed to the benefits of green ingredients, I have experimented with kale in some ways that have made kale a staple piece in any dish. In this article, I’ve have outlined three ways to prepare kale, so that you too can enjoy this delicacy in more ways than one, while reaping the health benefits.
Some Benefits of Kale
Kale has rewarding benefits that you will love to know. You will find proteins, Vitamin C, iron and magnesium in kale in addition to a couple of other nutrients and that makes this leafy green such a desirable meal item.
Other benefits include:
- Lowers cholesterol when steamed and efficiently binds with the bile catalysts from this cooking method. This is the better option to getting the bile acids out of your system to dampen your cholesterol count. When consumed raw, they are less efficient in the catalyzing role.
- Kale leads to cancer occurrence reduction and has been traced to effectively hamper five variations of cancer. These are the breast, ovary, colon, prostate, bladder, and ovary. The presence of Isothiocyanates which result from glucosinolates, found in kale is the primary drive for these risks of cancer- reduction roles.
- Kale plays a fundamental role in the detox processes in the human body and can expedite detoxification down to the genetics when administered as recommended.
- There are up to 45 flavonoids of different types that can be isolated from Kale and they include quercetin and kaempferol • There are anti-inflammatory benefits and antioxidants present in kale that combat chronic inflammation and oxidation.
Recommended Eating Quantity
While kale is an acquired taste, it should be a part of the regular cruciferous vegetables that appear in your regular diet. There is a recommended daily allowance that is stated for nutrients so that your body can be healthy and well-nourished always – kale is one of those items.
- ¾ cupful measure of cruciferous veggies need to be consumed daily and translates to 5 cups weekly.
- An optional gauge is 10 cups weekly, or 1.5 cups measure daily.
- The leaves should be cut in half, while the stem should be one-quarter of an inch.
- Sit them in water for up to 5 minutes before steaming.
- To cook, steam for 5 minutes.
When you realize how rich kale is in nutrients, you’ll realize that it’s a versatile food that can fit into a variety of dishes – which inevitably include soups and salads. Smaller portions allow you to get used to the food while still retaining the health benefits of eating it.
How to Prepare Kale
While there are a ton of ways to prepare kale, below you’ll find the most popular three ways.
1. Kale Chips
In any culinary discussion, experts and amateurs alike will agree that kale chips are the easiest to create. In short, to prepare, you’ll need to sprinkle your leafy green with olive oil and heat up as required. In doing so, this eliminates the moisture and gives kale the crunchy and salty texture. If you’re more of visual learning, make sure to check out this video tutorial:
- Kale without the steam
- Use a bunch
- Olive oil
- First, you’ll want to preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grab a bowl and drop the kale in.
- Add the oil and salt ( to your taste), but preferably sparingly.
- Place the concoction on a baking sheet, and then bake for about 20 minutes.
- Once crisp and dry, your kale chips are ready for consumption.
2. Grilled Kale with Coconut
The preparation method for grilled kale with coconut is more straightforward than one may think but tastes like gourmet cooking. In short, you’ll need to pick your kale and soak it in coconut milk marinade. Don’t forget to add a dash of sizzling of paprika, salt, lemon juice and cayenne.
Cradled by the coconut mix, doing so coats the leaves to a nutty and spicy state that is quite tender. In creating the kale this way, you’ll receive an exciting delight as a side dish that can also be eaten as a meal with no additives. The spiciness of cayenne makes the kale such a meal to savor.
- Kale with no ribs but cut as wide strips
- Coconut milk measured in 1 13.5-ounce
- Kosher salt in 1/2 teaspoon measure
- Ground cayenne in 1/2 teaspoon measure
- Mild paprika in 1/4 teaspoon measure
- Squeezed lemon juice (fresh) in 1 tablespoon measure
- Add all the items in a saucepan (leaving out the kale )
- Heat till the ingredients combine and get hot
- Add the mix to the kale in a petri dish and cover
- Place in the refrigerator for the next four hours
- Take out the petri dish
- Grill the combination on a grill pan till there are signs of softening and sizzling
- Finally, you’ll want to remove and serve as desired!
3. Raw Kale and Pine Nut Salad
Shredded kale in a mix of olive oil, pine nuts, lemon juice, and cranberries make a salad delight that you will love to taste. This sweet assembly is topped with parmesan mix after some hours of marinating. This Island meal is simple to prepare and is such a rare delight to appreciate you are a salad lover.
- Kale in a bunch (stems should be discarded)
- Torn up leaves
- Lemon to be juiced (it’s recommended that you use a masticating juicer)
- Pepper and salt
- Pine nuts in 1 cup measure
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano in 1 cup measure
- Dried, sweetened cranberries in 1 cup measure
- Take your pine nuts in a skillet to be dry-toasted until they fragment
- Add the lemon juice to the kale in a bowl
- Mix the juice to combine with the kale leaves
- Add the other ingredients (except for the parmesan)
- Leave the mix to marinate for a few hours
- When you are ready to eat, stir the Parmesan in and enjoy!
It is my hope that you have followed the steps here to prepare the kale as already described with all of its health benefits and nutrition base. If you enjoyed the meals, please share with us and spread this article like wildfire on social media. In doing so, your friends and family can savor this nutritious treat.