Cooking the ideal rice may not seem like a difficult task, but for one reason or another, it may fail to turn out perfect as you expected. You may be now wondering,“what do I do?”
While there are options to explore on how to fix mushy rice, a few people will give a thought to doing away with it, and suggest throwing it away. Thankfully, we can show you how to fix mushy rice in a few different ways.
Over the years, I have learned some ways to handle rice that became mushed somewhere along the line, and I am keen to let you know how to make the best of an unpleasant situation.
The Possible Scenarios
Various scenarios can unfold when cooking rice and to get around these, here is what to do:
#1: Hard or Chewy Mid-point after Cooking Time Has Elapsed
The line of Action – to solve hard or chewy rice, you’ll want to add a quarter cup measure of water to cover the rice. Then you’ll want to allow the rice to slow cook for the next 5 minutes.
#2: Too Wet After Cooking
The line of Action – To solve the “too wet” issue, you’ll want to turn the rice and empty on a baking sheet. The next course of action is to allow this batch of rice to dry on low oven heat.
#3: The Grains are Mushy
The line of Action – In resolving the mushy grains scenario, you must try the rice pudding option.
#4: The Rice Became Burnt Underneath
The line of Action - Place the pot over a container of cold water to stop the burnt aroma from permeating the entire rice. After 2 minutes, tip off rice from the pot slowly into a bowl.
#5: General Safeguard
While this point is not a problem in itself, it is, however, a limitation, as many people have been taught that it is not advisable to lift the pot lid when the rice is still cooking.
When you lift the lid, you can have an idea of the absorption of water and if it is time to turn down the heat. You can do this in a flash without compromising the rice quality.
How to Fix Mushy Rice
The idea that makes it possible to cook rice successfully with no fuss is to remember the cardinal rule of using the right water to rice ratio.When the water level is too low, the rice will get poorly cooked and too much water will make it over cooked.
When your rice is mushy, the easy thing to do is to pour it on a baking sheet and microwave it. Remember that when the rice is soggy, rice pudding is an option to prepare.
I learned how to make the rice pudding delight when I first battled with soggy rice at home in the Northeast. After years of research and handling of different culinary options, I added some details from some worthy chefs I related with while working at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. You can also find some amazing advice and learn more about cooking by visiting our friends at CulinaryLabSchool.
3 OPTIONS ON HOW TO FIX MUSHY RICE
This should be no hard thing to do as you need to take the lid off the pot using the pot holder. Take hold of both sides of the pot by grasping the potholders.
- Be careful and drain the water slowly.
- The pot should be placed back on the cooker without the lid.
- Set the flame on low
- Allow cooking at low heat (this allows the water to evaporate so that the excess moisture is eliminated)
- Check within minutes to confirm if the rice is sufficiently dried
- Put out the flame and leave the pot for about a minute
- Hold the potholders and take it off the cooker
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheet
- Open up a section of the parchment paper that can cover the entire baking sheet
- Scoop the rice with the spoon onto the parchment paper overlaid with baking sheet
- Make sure the thin layer is created by spreading the rice evenly
- Lay the baking sheet inside the oven (rotate at 180 degrees halfway through the drying duration)
- Heat on low range
- Check at intervals to see if the rice is moisture free
- Turn off the heat
- Leave the rice for 2 minutes inside the oven
- Hold the two sides of the baking sheet carefully using potholders and bring it out from the oven
- Baking sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Take out a parchment paper that can spread over your baking sheet
- Scoop the rice evenly around baking sheet overlaid with the parchment paper
- Place the spread inside the fridge
- Check at intervals to see if the rice is dried considerably
- Take out the spread
- Place in a microwave and heat
- The option here is that you can turn the mushy rice to fried rice after drying it out by adding your (cut) veggies, seafood, and meat as you desire.
Equipment and Ingredients
- Salt pinch
- Soggy in 8-ounce measure
- Milk measured as 8 ounces
- Sugar in 2 tablespoon scoops
- Cinnamon powder in a teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Vanilla extract in half teaspoon measure
- A large saucepan
- Measuring Cup
- Empty the rice into the saucepan along with milk
- Add the sugar and salt
- Combine thoroughly with a spatula
- Place on the cooker on medium heat and allow to cook for the next 10 minutes
- Stir often to get the ingredients mixed up evenly ( make sure to stir from the bottom to prevent any scorching)
- Once the pudding gets thick, turn off the heat
- This should be after there is no milk evident on the surface of the rice
- Allow the mix to simmer for a minute
- Sprinkle cinnamon powder over the mix
- Remove the saucepan and serve
I hope you have gleaned some worthy tips on how to fix mushy rice after going through this tutorial as outlined here. If you did, then you can do more by sharing this page on your social media so that friends and family can be updated on the best course to deal with soggy rice.
Feel free to add your suggestions and questions on this page, and it will be my pleasure to see the ideas you have on further fixing mushy rice.
Leave a Reply